1. There are two types of cinnaon and one of them can be toxic!
Cassia and Ceylon Cinnamon
The Ceylon Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zelanicum/ Cinnamomum verum ) referred to as “sweet cinnamon” and “true cinnamon” is considered superior to the other types of cinnamon available in the global market as it contains the right flavor, aroma and softness.
Easy recognizable with the small layers inside, reminding of cigars.
Cassia tends to be thicker sticks and a rougher texture than Ceylon cinnamon.
Cassia cinnamon is considered lower quality. It is very cheap and is the type most commonly consumed around the world. Almost all cinnamon found in supermarkets is the Cassia variety.
a very strong, spicy flavor.
cassia cinnamon, but not Ceylon, is a very rich source of coumarin, which can be toxic.
Go for quality and choose real ceylon cinnamon! Check the label of the cinnamon sticks or powder, if ceylon is not indicated the chance is very high that you are buying the cheaper - low quality cassia cinnamon.
Amuura Organic cinnamon is always from highest ceylon quality and grown with the respect of an organic life-cycle. Shop here
2. Cinnamon is the bark of a tree
Both the stem and bark are highly aromatic and it’s the inner bark that is used as a spice.
3. Sri Lanka is ranked the fourth biggest exporter of cinnamon in the world
...with 8% of the global exports according to a 2014 FAO database. Cinnamomum veru, also known as the Ceylon cinnamon tree, is native to Sri Lanka and considered to be more aromatic than other spices. Almost 90% of the world supply of this cinnamon is exported from Sri Lanka.
On top of that, cinnamon is the second largest food product in exports
4. Cinnamon quills do not grow on treesThe harvesting process begins with scraping off the outer layer of the cinnamon bark with special tools, so as to not damage the inner layer. The scraped skin is then recycled into compost and used to grow more cinnamon plants.
The inner layer of the bark is then gently carved, in order to separate the cinnamon from the inner wood.
This skinned layer is then rolled into layers and combined to create a larger quill. The edges of the quills are cut to standard length by scissors and then dried for at least 10 days before packaging.
|scraping off the outer bark|
|peeling off the 2nd layer - the cinnamon|
5. Cinnamon is a real Allrounder | its benefitsCinnamon oil is created using the inner wood and dried leaves of the cinnamon tree, which are heated in an oven to extract the oil.
Cinnamon (Oil) is used in a wide range of cosmetic products.
Furthermore, Ceylon cinnamon can lower your blood sugar levels, it helps your body fight infections and repair tissue damage and helps to fight against fungal and bacteria infections- a real all rounder.
Just be sure to use organic ceylon cinnamon instead of cassia !
|AMUURA cinnamon leaf|